List of DisCO Resources
This is a regularly updated compilation of all resources on DisCO that have been published until this date.
Unfamiliar with DisCO? START HERE
If you're not already familiar with DisCO we recommend taking some time to get the picture overview of what we offer before diving deep into the minutiaes of DisCONomics.
DisCO intro articles and short videos
For a brief introduction to DisCOs we recommend these two introductory articles, with their corresponding video trailers:
"DisCO stands for Distributed Cooperative Organizations, and it’s a set of organizational tools and practices for groups of people who want to work together in a cooperative, commons-oriented, and feminist economic form. DisCO is also an alternative to another form called the Decentralized Autonomous Organizations, or DAO".
"Distributed Cooperative Organizations or DisCOs explained in a nutshell and what they mean in the context of the Covid-19 crisis."
"A guide to how DisCO governance specifically articulates the 7 DisCO Principles and Eleven Values. Includes infographic illustrations about the DisCO Governance and economic model"
DisCO Governance Model Infographic
The DisCO Governance Infographic features a simplified visual explanation of the Basic DisCO Governance Model.
The DisCO Trilogy
The DisCO Trilogy comprises three downloadable multi-format publications covering various aspects of DisCO. Also to be published as Audiobooks (see section below)
If I Only Had a Heart: The DisCO Manifesto
The DisCO Manifesto is a deep dive into the world of Distributed Cooperative Organizations. Over its 80 colorful pages, you will read about how DisCOs are a P2P/Commons, cooperative and Feminist Economic alternative to Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (or DAOs). The DisCO Manifesto also includes some background on topics like blockchain, AI, the commons, feminism, cooperatives, cyberpunk, and more.
Groove is in the Heart: The DisCO Elements
The DisCO Elements is a compilation of several articles on DisCO, including dedicated sections on DisCO in our current historical and Pandemic context, the Seven Principles, DisCO Governance, DisCO Care Work and DisCO policies. The DisCO Elements is a "director's cut", expanded from a publication commissioned by Autonomy.work. You can also find the DisCO Elements serialized as standalone articles in Hackernoon.
The DisCO PinkPaper
(Forthcoming) The White paper for the DisCO project (or as we like to call it, the PinkPaper), will not only describe the technological aspects but will also highlight the cultural and ethical considerations underlying our design choices. The DisCO PinkPaper will include sections on the DisCO FLOOR, the DisCO DECK and their co-dependencies, as well as a sections on the DisCO STACK and how it relates to FLOOR and DECK.
Other DisCO Links and Resources
Your main resources for all things DisCO is our website DisCO.coop and this wiki.
For a regularly updated compilation of all resources on DisCO that have been published up to date, see the lists of links below (note that some of these have already been presented in this first section)
DisCO Official Publications
- Platforming Equality: Care Before Code Care (Chapter on DisCO from Autonomy.work's booklet)
- Deliberate Dancing: A Critical Investigation of DisCOs’ Potential to Re-Politicize the Economy (Master's thesis on DisCO)
- How to Account for the Future of Work: Automation, Blockchain, and the Knowledge Economy on Hackernoon
- Last Night A Distributed Cooperative Organization Saved My Life: A brief introduction to DisCOs on Hackernoon
- Tales of a DisCO Straight from the Dance Floor for Grassroots Economic Organizing.(Practical experiences of Guerrilla Translation as a DisCO)
- Anoche una organización cooperativa distribuida me salvó la vida: una breve introducción a las DisCO. Introductory article in Spanish for alternative digital newspaper El Salto
Videos and Public Presentations
- The DisCO Mothership has landed: Feminist, Cooperative, Commons & Blockchains|The DisCO Mothership has landed: Feminist, Cooperative, Commons & Blockchains(1 minute video trailer)
- Groove is in the Heart: The DisCO Elements( 1 minute video trailer for DisCo elements)
- Feminista, cooperativista, distribuido y orientado al procomún: bienvenidas a DisCO (1 minute video trailer in Spanish)
- Take back the App! (Episode of the Laura Flanders Show featuring DisCOs, Platform Coops and more…)
- DisCOs Dancing Together: Value Flows and Future Economies: (25 mins presentation by Eli Sterling. Full version and more resources here)
- DisCO.coop – The Future of Distributed Work | Radical Practice Conference 2020/21 by Ann Marie Utratel
- OPEN:2020 DisCO Webinar recording (April 2020)
- Rage Against the Machine and Science Friction: a video introduction to DisCOs (45 min presentation and audio/podcast version).
- Tech for Society #13: Rights to the blockchain city #2 a livecast episode by Pakhuis de Zwijger on the possibilities of blockchains if they were designed to support alternative economic models, with DisCO.coop among the participants.
- MoneyLab Berlin #11. (This is the whole encounter, the DisCO part begins at 1:27:00)
- DWeb Meetup: March 2021 ( This whole meet up the DisCo part begins at 0:59:00 aprox)
- Emergent Practices from the Decentralized Cooperative Web - March 12, 2021
- DisCO at Platform Co-ops Now! course, presentation on the origins of DisCO, its main features and roadmap for the near future.It is followed by a Q&A with the DisCO Crew.
- Get DisCO! Ann Marie Utratel and Stacco Troncoso at the Metagov Seminar
- Grant for the Web (we have been awarded two prizes, search for DisCO.coop and ValueFlows in this document - they are the same project).