DIsCO Governance Model Version Changes
This entries tracks all changes between the following two versions of the DisCO Governance Model:
- Distributed Cooperative Organization (DisCO) Governance Model V 3.0 (AKA the "Guerrilla Media Collective Governance Model". Latest revision is early 2019.
- DisCO Mothership Governance Model (3.5, and the base governance model for DISCO.NP. Late winter 2021)
Welcome to the DisCO MOTHERSHIP Governance Model
- This is a new section, rewritten to distinguish from GMC/3.o version of the model and to welcome people who may not be familiar with the model and/or GMC.
- Explains the differences between version 3.0 (for coops) and version 3.5 (for DisCO Non Profits), as well as quick pointers to the DisCO LABS and DisCO Applications Program.
- Some sections would benefit from MS/BALL Wiki entries that haven't been created yet, or placeholders, such as Guerrilla Media Collective's main website. I am listing these as "3.5 Dependencies" on the Card for ongoing inclusion as these resources are created in the near future.
- Plz check the footnotes.
- Please edit for typos and clarity directly on the wiki. Thanks!
Changes to Overview Section
THIS SECTION IS CURRENTLY BEING VALIDATED FOR COMMUNITY APPROVAL Overall, the "Overview" section is a crash course on DisCO Governance for those not familiar with our other materials or who want a more technical/economic overview of DisCO (ie, more to the fact and clearly laid out). Have this in mind when reading the section. This is the technical counterpart to the following two pop-sci chapters of Elements:
- Added links to the DisCO Glossary MS entry and listed Glossary items to be created in the Glossary Trello Card.
- Ongoing clarification and differentiation from GMC and the GMC model (while constantly acknowledging and referencing the GMC origins of the model and GMC's history.
- Added Glossary entry for DisCO Nodes to provide an explanation for the term.
- Broke explanation about the Open Enterprise gov model into it's own subsection with minor updates.
- Added new subsection to explain the DisCO Application Program or DAP. Created a DisCO Applications Program Wiki entry to further explain the DAP.
- Broke out section into the structure of the model and retitled it How to read this governance model and reordered it so it appears prior to the Open Enterprise Gov Model and DAP sections.
- Clarified the language, cleaned redundancies, put placeholder links for the clarification document and changed all GT/GMC references to DisCO.coop
- Nested the Open Enterprise Gov model section under a new section entitled Precedents to the DisCO Governance Model with updates to the former.
- Also nested under "precedents", wrote a new section entitled From Platform to Open Cooperativism to DisCO. This includes some graphics and definitions taken from the glossary.
- Include a third section entitled Other Notable Influences. It includes:
- An extract on the DisCO DNA sourced from The DisCO Elements.
- A list of notable influences with links
- The section ends by linking to the DIsCO Governance Reading List and Inspirations page.
- The last section under the "Precedents" header deals with GMC/GT and the 2018 workshop on the Gov model. All summarized under From Guerrilla Translation/Media Collective to DisCO
- Made a new introductory section on DisCO Governance with subsections on:
- Intro Articles and short videos
- The DisCO Trilogy: (Manifesto and Elements)
- Other DisCO Links and Resources (linking to the List of DisCO Resources entry.
- The DisCO in Seven Principles and Eleven Values section has been substantially reworked from 3.0's Open Value Cooperativism and Distributed Cooperative Organizations section, which was somewhat confusing. Highlights include.
- Elimination of the concept of "Open Value Cooperativism" from the literature.
- Total overhaul of the existing DisCO in 7 Principles and 11 Values standalone wiki entry to bring it inline with the nomenclature used in The DisCO Elements.
- Added hyperlinks to the specific principle sections in the DisCO in 7 Principles and 11 Values section above. NEED: We should include the examples from the labs, adapted from Elements
- Added corresponding 7 Principles Icons to each of the sections (and also to the Standalone 7 Principles page
- Reinforced the notion of nonlinear reading, encouraging those already familiar with the model to skip the overview section, or skim through what they already be familiar with, while keeping enough in-document references to make the Governance Model fully coherent in-text.
- Specific section for the 11 Values with links to the stand-alone 7 Principles/11 Values entry for more context.
- Adapted the Governance Model TLDR from the GMC/3.0 version. Keeping the same basic structure the changes center on:
- Substituted "The Coop" or "DisCO" for "DisCO.NP"
- The substitution of "agency work" for Fluid Funding
- Introduction of the term "Net Available Liquidity"
- And allusion to dynamic carework rations
- Added a new level of participation to the existing Casual/dating/committed structure: DisCOlarships, which seats somewhere between Casual and Dating.
- The new TLDR contains links to sections which haven't been created or written. Some of them are already indexed and linked, some aren't. It previews the structure of the Governance Model and should be read carefully for accuracy going forward. It shouldn't be any longer than it currently is. THIS TLDR NEEDS TO BE REVISED AFTER EACH SECTION IS APPROVED BY THE MOTHERSHIP CORE CREW.
Changes to Roles and Responsibilities Section
Changes to Contribution Tracking Section
Changes to Decision Making Section
Changes to TLDR and Conclusion Section
Changes to Links and Resources Section
- Within V 3.0 there is a Version History and Related Resources. This stand-alone wiki entry would be the equivalent for version V 3.5. We decided to keep them separate this time so decrease cross talk and possible confusions.
- In reality what we were describing with "Open Value Cooperativism" was synonymous with DisCO and its principles. Nowadays we're using "Distributed Cooperativism" to expand ob the description. "Open Value Cooperativism" was also an attempt to bridge with Open Cooperativism. Currently DisCO is so different from Open Cooperativism as conceptualised in 2014-15 that the comparison isn't very relevant nowadays.